Unetbootin (Universal Netboot Installer) is a Live USB boot maker tool that can be used to quickly and easily make a Bootable USB flash drive from a single Linux ISO file. It is a cross platform Live USB generation tool supporting Windows, Linux, and macOS operating systems.
Unetbootin (Universal Netboot Installer)
What is Unetbootin?
UNetbootin, short for "Universal Netboot Installer," is a free and open source software tool that allows users to create bootable Live USB drives for various Linux distributions and other operating systems. It simplifies the process of installing or trying out different operating systems without the need for a CD/DVD drive.
Its key features include:
- Cross Platform OS Compatibility: Available for use in Windows, Linux, and macOS, making it a versatile tool for users on different operating systems.
- Wide Range of Supported Linux Distributions: The tool supports a variety of Live Linux distributions, allowing users to easily create bootable USB drives for their preferred distribution. Like the YUMI and UUI tools, additional information regarding each Linux distribution is offered including a brief description and a link the official webpage for each. Enabling users to discover and learn more about new Linux distros that they may have never heard of.
- Custom ISO Support: Users can provide their own ISO files, expanding the tool's usability beyond pre configured distributions.
- User Friendly GUI: It offers a straightforward and friendly graphical user interface, making it accessible for beginners and experienced users alike.
- Live USB Creation: It creates bootable Live USB drives, enabling users to run or install operating systems directly from the USB drive without altering their computer's existing local drive setup.
- No Installation Required: Is a portable utility that does not require installation onto a PC. Users can run it directly after downloading, simplifying the process.
- Download Distributions: Can automatically fetch and download popular Linux distributions if users don't have the ISO file stored locally.
- Persistence Option: Supports a Linux persistence feature where available, allowing users to save changes and data between sessions when using the Live USB.
- Open Source: Open source software, meaning its source code is freely available, and users can inspect, modify, redistribute or contribute to it.
It's important to note that UNetbootin is primarily designed for Linux distributions, and its support for non Linux operating systems is minimal. Additionally only one Linux distribution can be stored and run from a flash drive. Unlike tools such as YUMI Multiboot USB Creator or UUI USB Boot Maker.