MobaXterm Portable is software that provides a terminal emulator, SSH client, and X11 server in a single portable executable. It is designed for remote access to Unix/Linux systems, but can also be used for local terminal emulation. MobaXterm can be run from a USB stick, making it a great portable and convenient choice for remote access to multiple computers.
Table of Contents
MobaXterm Portable | running from USB
What is MobaXterm Portable?
MobaXterm is in itself a popular and powerful remote computing tool for Windows provides a comprehensive set of features and functions for remote access, administration, and network management.
MobaXterm Portable is a self-contained executable file that includes all the necessary files and dependencies to run MobaXterm portably. It can be run from any computer without the need for installation or administrator privileges, making it a convenient and flexible tool for remote computing. The portable version provides all the features of the standard version, including support for SSH, RDP, VNC, FTP, SFTP, and XDMCP protocols, as well as Unix commands and a built-in X11 server.
The portable version is particularly useful for users who need to work with remote servers or machines while on the go, or who work in environments where software installations are restricted or not permitted.
In addition to the free version of this X server and SSH client, there is also a pro version with even more customizable features. Being an enhanced terminal for Windows, both the free and pro versions ship with an embedded Portable X11 server for exporting Linux/Unix displays to Windows. This software also includes other network tools for remote administration.
For example, by using GNU/Cygwin, you can run commands for Unix/Linux systems from within Windows.
All of this packed into one stand alone portable executable that can be stored and then run entirely from a USB flash drive.
How to use MobaXterm
Here are the basic steps to use MobaXterm:
- Download from the official website and unzip the software to a folder on your USB flash drive.
- Launch the executable from the MobaXterm folder on your USB drive.
- To connect to a remote server, click on the "Sessions" button in the top-left corner of the main window.
- In the Sessions pane, select the type of connection you want to make, such as SSH or FTP.
- Enter the remote server's IP address or hostname, as well as your username and password.
- Click the "OK" button to connect to the remote server.
- Once connected, you can use MobaXterm's various features and functions to manage and manipulate files and data on the remote server. For example, you can use the built-in text editor to modify files, use the terminal to run commands, or use the file transfer features to transfer files between the local and remote machines.
- When you're finished working with the remote server, click the "Sessions" button and select "Exit" to disconnect from the server and close the session.
MobaXterm Portable also includes many advanced features and settings, so be sure to explore the documentation and online resources from the official site to learn more about how to use the tool to its fullest potential.