CrystalDiskMark is free benchmark software. You can use this free benchmarking tool to perform a USB speed test. Easily test the speed of your local hard drives, removable external USB (flash drives), as well as networked drives. In addition the utility supports drive speed testing through customizable profiles and even offers a NVMe SSD test option.
You can save your benchmark results either to a text file or as an image. Another cool feature is the ability to use selectable themes. A zipped version is also offered by the author. The zip file contains stand alone executables for both 32 and 64bit systems. Which makes it a great portable benchmarking app that can be stored and then run entirely from USB flash drive, so you can take it with you.
I personally think this is the Best Benchmark Software for speed testing USB flash drives.
Table of Contents
CrystalDiskMark Free Benchmark Software
Amongst some of the best free benchmark software tools you can find to add to your existing portable software applications collection. Crystal Disk Mark is shown below running a quick benchmark USB drive speed test on a SanDisk Extreme Pro flash drive.
CrystalDiskMark and its Features
This popular and widely used benchmarking software was created to test the performance of storage devices such as hard drives (HDDs) and solid-state drives (SSDs). It is primarily used to assess the read and write speeds of these storage devices, providing valuable insights into their overall performance.
Its features include:
- The application offers several types of speed tests, including sequential and random read/write tests. Sequential tests measure data transfer speeds when reading or writing large blocks of data sequentially, while random tests assess performance when reading or writing small, random data blocks.
- Supports testing with multiple queues and threads, allowing users to evaluate how well a storage device can handle multiple data requests simultaneously. This is particularly important for SSDs, which can excel in multitasking scenarios.
- Can be used to test various types of storage drives, including traditional hard disk drives (HDDs), SATA SSDs, NVMe SSDs, and external USB drives.
- The benchmark provides detailed results, including data transfer rates measured in megabytes per second (MB/s) for both sequential and random read/write operations. It often reports four different metrics for each test: sequential read, sequential write, 4K random read, and 4K random write.
- It is made available as a portable application, which means you can run it without needing to install it on your computer. This makes it convenient for testing storage devices on various systems without leaving any traces behind.
CrystalDiskMark is commonly used by hardware enthusiasts, IT professionals, and individuals who want to evaluate the performance of their storage devices. It can help users make informed decisions when purchasing new drives or assessing the health of existing ones.
Specifications and Download
Authors Website: CDM Project Page
Author: Created by Hiyohiyo
Extracted File Size: +- 15 MB
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, XP
Where to get it:
Download CrystalDiskMark portable and free benchmark test software.
If you find this benchmarking utility useful, you might also want to check out HDBench free speed testing software.