GLtron is, as the name suggests is a Free TRON like game inspired by the movie TRON legacy. In this game, you ride a futuristic bike called a light cycle inside a rectangular arena. As you steer, your bike leaves a trail behind, which becomes a wall. The goal is to force the other players to drive into a wall while trying to avoid the wall yourself. The last player still riding is the winner.
GLtron Portable Free TRON Game
You can play with up to four players, or compete against AI.
GLtron is a free open source computer game inspired by the light cycle sequences from the popular science fiction film "Tron." In the game, players control a light cycle, a futuristic motorcycle like vehicle, and compete against other players or computer controlled opponents in a virtual arena. The objective is to survive and outmaneuver your opponents by creating light walls that can trap them.
Key features include:
- Light Cycle Gameplay: The core of the game involves light cycle duels. Players ride their cycles and leave behind solid light walls, which can be used both defensively and offensively to trap opponents and force them into crashing into the walls.
- Multiplayer Support: Supports local multiplayer, allowing friends to compete against each other in split screen mode. This feature adds a social and competitive aspect to the game.
- Computer Controlled Opponents: If you don't have friends to play with, you can also challenge computer controlled opponents with varying levels of difficulty.
- Unique Visual Style: The game's visual style is reminiscent of the "Tron" movie, featuring neon-colored light cycles and grid-like environments that contribute to the game's retro-futuristic aesthetic.
- Customization: Allows players to customize their light cycle's color and appearance, adding a personal touch to the game.
- Open Source: Open source project, which means that the game's source code is freely available for modification and contributions from the community. This openness encourages developers to enhance and expand the game.
This is a fun and relatively simple game that pays homage to the iconic light cycle sequences from the "Tron" movie. It's a great choice for fans of the film and those looking for a casual, enjoyable gaming experience. The open source nature of the game also means that it can be customized and improved by the community, leading to various versions and adaptations with different features and enhancements.
Specifications and Project Page
- Extracted Size: 4.92MB
- Authors Website: GLtron Project Page
- Creator: Andreas Umbach
- License: Open Source (GNU GPL)
- First release: June 1998
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP, MacOS X, Linux
How to make GLtron a Portable TRON game
To make it run portably from a USB drive, Microsoft Windows users can follow these steps:
- Download Make GLtron Portable script and run it. A Make GLtron Portable folder is created.
- Download the executable file and then move it to that folder.
- Run MakePortable.bat from the folder and follow the onscreen instructions, selecting your USB drive as the destination.
- Click gltron.exe from the new GLtron-Portable folder on your flash drive to run the program.
If all went well, the game can now be stored and run from your USB flash drive, enabling you to bring it with you to play from anywhere.