Gaim Portable is an Open Source portable instant messaging client application. It is essentially an all in one instant messaging client that allows you to take your IM settings and buddy lists with you wherever you go on a portable device. This Instant Messenger can be stored and launched directly from a USB device.
Gaim | a Portable Instant Messenger
Gaim was the original name of what is now known as Pidgin, an open source instant messaging client. The project was started by Mark Spencer in 1998. The name "Gaim" was used for many years until it faced a trademark dispute with AOL, the company behind the AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) service. In 2007, the developers decided to change the name to Pidgin to resolve the trademark issues.
Gaim Portable is compatible with MSN messenger, AOL instant messenger, ICQ, Yahoo, IRC and many other networks. Users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously, so you can be chatting with friends on multiple networks all at the same time.
It supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer, away messages, and typing notification and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, spell checking, tabbed conversations, and more.
Here are some of its main features:
- Instant Messaging Client: A portable instant messaging client that supports multiple chat protocols, allowing users to connect to various instant messaging networks.
- Open Source IM: Open source software, meaning their source code is freely available for users to inspect, modify, and distribute.
- Multiple IM Protocols: The software supports multiple chat protocols, such as AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, and more.
- Plugin Architecture: Includes a plugin system that allows users to extend its functionality through various plugins.
Specifications | Official Website | Where to Download
- Authors Website: Gaim Project Page
- Developer: Mark Spencer
- Release Date: First released in 1998
- Cross Platform IM App: Supports Windows, Linux, and macOS
- License: Open Source
- Downloading: You can get this Portable Instant Messenger (now called pidgin Portable) here: