Xonotic is an open source first person shooter (FPS) video game. This arena style shooter is a branch of and was forked from the all popular Nexiuz game. Like Nexiuz this chaotic fast paced game is entirely free to play and can also be stored and run entirely from a USB flash drive.
Table of Contents
Xonotic Game | Free Arena Shooter
Xonotic is a free and open source first person shooter (FPS) video game that is heavily influenced by classic FPS titles like Quake and Unreal Tournament. It is known for its fast paced gameplay, intricate movement mechanics, and a wide variety of weapons and maps. The free shooter game was originally developed as a fork of the Nexuiz project in 2010 and has since evolved into its own unique game.
Xonotic’s Key Features
- Intense Fast Paced Gameplay: Xonotic offers intense and fast paced gameplay, focusing on skill-based combat and movement. It includes various game modes such as Deathmatch, Capture The Flag, Duel, and more. The game encourages players to master advanced movement techniques like strafe jumping and rocket jumping to gain an advantage in battles.
- Diverse Weapons: Provides diverse selection of weapons, each with its own unique characteristics and playstyle. These weapons include classic FPS staples like shotguns, rocket launchers, plasma guns, and more.
- Includes Multiple Maps: The game features a wide range of maps, from small, tight arenas to larger, more open spaces. The maps are designed to accommodate various playstyles and game modes, providing a varied and dynamic gaming experience.
- Plenty of Customization: Allows players to customize their gaming experience by adjusting settings, including player and weapon characteristics. This flexibility allows for a tailored experience that suits different preferences.
- Community Mods Supported: Has a dedicated and active community of players and modders who contribute to the game's development and create custom maps, game modes, and modifications. This community-driven approach keeps the game fresh and vibrant.
- Is an Open Source Arena Shooter Game: Xonotic is released under an open source license, which means that the game's source code is freely available for anyone to use and modify. This openness has led to a variety of community driven modifications and improvements.
- Cross Platform Shooter Game: It is made available across multiple platforms, including Windows, macOS, and Linux, making it accessible to a wide audience of gamers.
- eSports: While not as widely recognized as some other esports titles, it offers a competitive scene with tournaments and leagues. Skilled players and teams compete for recognition and prizes in various competitions.
- Arena Shooter Game with good Graphics and Sound: Offers visually appealing graphics and sound effects, enhancing the overall gaming experience.
- Single player or multiplayer modes: Although primarily designed for multiplayer gameplay, it also includes a single player mode with bot AI, allowing players to practice their skills offline.
Xonotic is a testament to the enduring popularity of classic arena style shooters and the potential of open source gaming projects. It provides a very fast paced skill driven gaming experience that has attracted a dedicated fan base over the years. If you enjoy fast and frenetic first person shooters, Xonotic is worth checking out, especially if you appreciate community driven development and modding opportunities.
If you enjoy this game, you might be interested in reading more about the Nexiuz the Free FPS Game it was originally derived from.