Audacity is an Open Source Free Streaming Audio Recorder and Sound Editor. It allows you to record sound directly from the internet or other sources, making it easy to capture sound clips and samples for your projects. For example, this Free music maker software can be used to record internet radio, record Pandora streaming audio, record from an attached record player, tape player, MP3 player, microphone or any other input device.
Table of Contents
Free Audio Recorder and Sound Editor (Audacity)
Record anything from your own voice to live music performances, making it an invaluable tool for any musician or podcaster. If sound or music can be played through your PC speakers, it can be recorded. Recorded Audio can be exported as a OGG, WAV, or MP3.
This is also a powerful and easy to use free audio editing tool for editing audio files, featuring built-in effects and filters to enhance the sound of your recordings. Whether you're looking for a free audio recorder for professional recording purposes or just want something simple and effective for everyday use, this is the perfect Free choice. Best of all, it is available for portable use.
Audacity’s Key Features
- Audio Editing: Basic audio editing tools like cut, copy, paste, and delete, make it easy to manipulate audio files.
- Multi-Track Editing: Multitrack editing allows you to work on multiple audio tracks simultaneously and create complex projects.
- Effects and Plugins: It ships with a variety of built-in audio effects, such as equalization, noise reduction, amplification, fade in/out, and more. Additionally, you can install third-party plugins to enhance its capabilities further.
- Support for Various Audio Formats: A wide range of audio file formats are supported, including WAV, MP3, AIFF, FLAC, OGG, and more.
- Recording: You can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, and even capture streaming audio from your computer.
- Noise Reduction: Audacity offers noise reduction tools to help clean up background noise and improve audio quality.
- Audio Analysis: It provides tools for visualizing and analyzing audio, including waveform and spectrogram views.
- Vocal Removal: Though not perfect, Audacity has a vocal removal tool that attempts to remove the vocal track from a song.
- Batch Processing: You can apply certain effects or edits to multiple files simultaneously using the batch processing feature.
- Accessibility: Keyboard shortcuts are also supported to provide accessibility for visually impaired users.
- Cross-Platform: It is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux, making it accessible to most users.
- Open Source and Free: Offered as open-source software, meaning it's free to download, use, and modify.